Laser Hair Removal Q&A
- How does laser hair removal work?
- Laser hair removal targets individual hair follicles with laser light to destroy them and make them unable to continue hair production. The laser sends highly heated laser light directly into the follicle, which agitates the pigment and causes it to shatter into countless tiny pieces. The hair follicle itself is destroyed while the pigment travels into the body for natural elimination.
- How many laser hair removal treatments are required?
- Multiple sessions are needed to fully address the hair in a given area, but the number of sessions depends on several factors including the size of the area and the type of hair. Because laser hair removal only destroys hair when it’s actively growing, multiple sessions are required to get the hair in all of its cycles. At any given time, around 1/4 of the hair in the target area can be removed, so most people need 4 appointments or more to get the desired results. Appointments are usually planned a month or more apart, which allows the next cycle of hair to enter its active growth phase.
- What can patients expect after laser hair removal?
- There’s no downtime needed after laser hair removal at all. Patients can return to their regular routine as soon as the laser hair removal is complete. Most people do have some minor redness and tenderness in the treatment area, similar to a very mild sunburn. Aloe vera gels can be used to soothe the irritated skin, and if patients suffer from mild itching after treatment hydrocortisone can also be applied topically. Whenever patients go outside, a high-quality sunblock should be used to protect the skin, especially in the area recently treated with laser hair removal.
- How long do the results of laser hair removal last?
- Laser hair removal provides long-term reduction of hair in the treated area, so it’s considered a permanent treatment. Patients need to be aware that in rare cases, factors like hormone surges may cause new hair to grow. In situations like that, a touch-up session can resolve any new hair growth.